Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sumiko's Reads ~HP#7 Review and Naomi Novik's Victory of Eagles


My quick HP7 review:

I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (HP7.1) on the Sunday of its opening weekend and really enjoyed it. I thought that the movie managed to give us a sense of how interminable the camping section was without actually making it seem interminable. (This is a fault with the book that is corrected, I thought, in the movie.) I was also lucky enough not to have any unfortunate incidents of people laughing where they weren't meant to - I hear this has happened at showings some of my online friends have been to. I enjoyed it and felt righteously upset when it ended with the cliffhanger that it had to end on.

I haven't read the book in ages so I cannot give you a good account on how true to the book it is - that will have to be for somebody else.


A book I just read: Naomi Novik's Victory of Eagles. I opened it up late last night and did not go to sleep until I was done. I loved the
first of the Temeraire books and then felt a little less enthusiastic for some of the most recent ones. (This is a general feeling - it has been quite a while since I read the others - so I cannot be more specific.) It just hit the spot last night. If you do not know what these books are - they are a series set in an alternative universe in which the British military has units of dragon borne fighters. The time is the early Nineteenth Century during the Napoleonic Wars and follows the adventures of Temeraire - a unique Chinese dragon and William Laurence the naval officer who adopts him. I think that my favorite part of the book was the part that dealt with Temeraire away from Laurence. The dragon culture/society was very entertaining and I don't recall the other books having nearly so much of it. I have raced to Amazon and see that I am coming to this book so late that the next book is already out. Excellent. I am extremely happy that I don't need to wait. I am so much looking forward to the Antepodean adventures of Temeraire and Laurence.

I just saw on Amazon that Patrick Rothfuss' second book is scheduled to come out in March!

My apologies, I wanted to get this posted earlier, but with Internet trouble, and the fact I was gone last weekend, I was unable to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk To Me...

AUDIO BOOK NOW AVAILABLE!

Hi, everyone, I have some great news! My first Sabrina Strong book, Ascension, is now in an audio book format.  NOW THAT I HAVE YOUR ATTE...