Monday, June 27, 2011

Peeling Eggs

You know how when you get a hard boiled egg and you go to peel it, you are wondering if it will come off easily, or stick like someone glued it?

Sort of how I feel right now. I'm the hard boiled egg.

Don't get me wrong. I have this week off, and it's great not having to rush through breakfast, make a lunch, get dress and fly out of here to go drive a damned transit bus and see all the same faces that get on every single day--maybe 3x in my 6 hour shift.

I'm working on my WIP, hoping to get into the climax. I've gotten this thing up to 82K words, and 223 pages so far. I've had several ideas hit me the past few weeks for the climax, scenes leading up to the climax and even the resolution that threw me so much I just wonder where the heck I get these ideas. I must have gotten on the Idea Train and it just treats me really well.

I don't get HBO, and even if I did, I'd probably not be able to stay up and watch True Blood. But there was a choice of magazine covers, this one was my favorite. I think this picture is the most duplicated, aside from The Mona Lisa for magazine covers.

Wild life around the house--since it's smack dab in the middle of our wild life/prairie/wetland park--has offered us glimpses of the usual parade of momma and baby raccoons going to her tree den, and one up in the old wooden water tower up by the house. But Dennis sighting takes first prize of momma deer and her little off spring. He said it was like a chihuahua with long legs, jumping around, and running in and out of the woods, trying out it's legs. I missed seeing it by an hour. Maybe I'll get to see them this week, if I'm lucky.

I am working on a post for Shelly of "The Life of a Novice Writer", for this week, I'm trying to not be so wordy. Wondering also if what I say will actually help anyone out there struggling, and wondering if they'll ever become good enough for an agent to grab them. Well, it's not that you're "good enough". It's more like the luck of the draw and your writing, or something about it hits an agent just right. I think you're better off playing the lottery, myself. And since I don't, well . . . here I am. We should all have nice juicy contracts with big houses, have our books on the shelves along side the likes of our favorite authors. And I'm going to tell you a quick tale of someone I knew who did just that.

Sabrina will be back--I'm not sure when, or what she'll post, but I'm sure it will be interesting. She's more interesting than me, by far. I mean, working for vampires, you know? So, she'll be in some time this week. I hope to get away a couple of days here and go and do something, go out to the White Pines State Park and maybe make reservations for a one-night stay in August before we have to go back to fall semester driving. I hoped to not have to do this again, but hey, Hollywood hasn't called yet, so I'm stuck in my "real life" job.

4 comments:

  1. Know what you mean. Thanks for the holler. I'm looking forward to your words of wisdom and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the other cover. Lol

    Good luck with your writing week ahead. Hope you get lots accomplished. I'll read your post on Shelly's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorelei says:

    Yep, Shelly, I'm thinking about this one. I thought I'd give you all a little insight into my wilder years (before Dennis), so, be prepared!

    Thanks, Jen, I hope to accomplish a few things this week. I get them done, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for time off! I don't have HBO either, I rely on Netflix for my True Blood fix, which I MUST have. Can't wait to read your guest post and hear more from Sabrina!

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me...

AUDIO BOOK NOW AVAILABLE!

Hi, everyone, I have some great news! My first Sabrina Strong book, Ascension, is now in an audio book format.  NOW THAT I HAVE YOUR ATTE...