Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Carrot Before the Nose Syndrome

I had a great day. The sun came out, it wasn't too hot, didn't have too many problems driving the bus. Oh, and Editor A. wants me to do corrections on the 3 1/4 pages that she made edits on. So, I'm still alive and kicking here.

Now, before you all get huffy about me doing this w/o a contract, I'm only doing what she'd sent me and no more. She asks for more, I'm just going to have to set my feet and do a mule-thing.

This is a first for me. I've never gotten more than a rejection for any book I've ever sent into anyone. Never. There was a time when one agent seemed interested in a vampire book I'd written about 10 years ago, and I shaved that thing down from the huge monstrosity it was, and it wasn't good enough. *shrug* She'd told me at that time that--and I quote: "Vampire novels are hard to sell, anyway", when she gave me the old heave-ho. Um, Anne Rice was doing a pretty good business at it. Plus, I think there were nearly a thousand vampire novels out at the time, and Buffy was just beginning to get up steam.

If you read my last post, I said that the vampire novel will never die. Nor will the interest in the movies and anything vampire. Ever since the first book was written by
Dr. John Polidori The Vampire: A Tale, people have had an interest in vampire tales.

I drive transit, I talk to people and if I can get them to tell me what they read, it's a plus for me, because if they are interested in fantasy, and vampire fiction, there is a future sale.

Meanwhile I'm reading over the first book, and half-way done with second one. I know where I'm going, it's just getting there is taking me a while, because I do go back and redo plot twists when I see that they aren't working. I don't outline. I'm just not an outline sort of person. I usually get scenes and dialogue in my head and I like to write so much, heck, I really don't care if I have to redo it all.

So, this has been my week, so far. Looks like a lot of you out there are having similar weeks, getting prepared for upcoming conferences and having a book half done. "It's a good thing" as Martha Stewart would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk To Me...

AUDIO BOOK NOW AVAILABLE!

Hi, everyone, I have some great news! My first Sabrina Strong book, Ascension, is now in an audio book format.  NOW THAT I HAVE YOUR ATTE...