Sunday, February 3, 2019

Colder Than Mt. Everest? Maybe



This past week of January 29-31, 2019, we here in the Midwest were coldest place on earth, including Antarctica, Mount Everest, and even Siberia (they claimed). I find it hard to believe that it was only -3 on top of Mt Everest. I think someone was lying there. But we were -30's around here on Wednesday. That's incredibly cold and they shut down schools, I didn't drive two days out of my four for NIU, because of closures. They called it the Polar Vortex. I call it "I want to leave here as soon as I can and never come back"!

Polar Vortex 

Because we had a lot of snow down--about 15"--my husband brought home seed and corn for the birds. We hadn't seen any bird life around. We felt the birds and squirrels might need a little help. After putting down seed and corn cobs, we got lots of birds, and even the squirrels woke up! Eventually we got more than the usual visitors. Here's a few pictures of the variety of wildlife we do get around our house.


  Aside from the pheasant, we occasionally have 
visits from our resident deer. This female is off by herself, 
but the others are close. Really close!

 NOTE THE PHEASANT IN BACKGROUND!
 This pheasant cobbed a cob of corn. With the fields around us, they usually find food out there.  But we managed to bring these fellows in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk To Me...

AUDIO BOOK NOW AVAILABLE!

Hi, everyone, I have some great news! My first Sabrina Strong book, Ascension, is now in an audio book format.  NOW THAT I HAVE YOUR ATTE...